Developing the Competitive Edge
MD80 Cruise Performance Improvement
BMI has teamed up with Aviation Fleet Systems to improve the cruise performance of the existing MD80. This project is currently underway with very promising results so far. The project is currently due to last into the fall of 2008.
To accomplish the goals of this project BMI has been exploring different trailing-edge modifications as well as a great deal of winglet designs.
Additional Project Details
BMI performed full Viscous Navier Stokes analysis:
- @5,000,000 grid points required
- Several hours to converge on computing cluster
- Detailed analysis of results by experienced engineer required
Analysis of what has been done so far has been very promising. BMI is continuing to explore different possibilities for the performance improvement of the MD80.
At A Glance
Use Aero analysis to improve the cruise performance of the MD80.
- High order surface modeling techniques (Boeing code)
- An iterative exploration of multiple trailing edge modifications and winglets
- Navier Stokes Analysis (NASA Code)
Project is still underway